Saturday, October 26, 2013

Inge's Pound Cake Gluten Free

When I found out that I would have to be gluten free for life, the one item I grieved was the loss of   my grandmother's pound cake.  My grandmother pound cake recipe was given to her 62 years ago from a good friend, Inge Weeks.

Growing up, the Weeks' were my next door neighbors. Inge came to the states from Austria after WWII. Coke Weeks was serving in the war when he met her. I fondly remember the stories that my grandparents told of Mr. Weeks returning from war and how he found the love of his life during that horrific time. As the story goes when Mrs. Inge first came to our small southern town, she would walk down the street and everyone's head would turn. She was gorgeous with blond hair and blue eyes. But, the thing is that she was just as beautiful on the inside as on the outside!

Her pound cake recipe as just one of the many things she shared with our family. This is a tradition and story was something I wanted to pass down to my son. So, today I remixed her recipe to make it gluten free!

Inge's Pound Cake Gluten Free

2 1/2 cups of sugar
3 cups of gluten free flour
7 eggs
2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
1 stick of margarine ( 1/2 cup)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1/4 teaspoon rum flavoring
1/4 teaspoon of lemon flavoring

Cream butter, margarine, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add flavoring and fold flour in at low speed. Do not over mix.

Bake at 300 for 1 hour 10 minutes.

My grandmother always added a glaze over the pound cake. It is the perfect addition!

Glaze
1/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup of butter
2 cups of powdered sugar

Heat milk and butter. Add powder sugar. Spread on cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment